Do you want to make a difference?
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC) strives to ensure we serve our communities, stakeholders, staff, and volunteers with excellent customer service. We are currently seeking volunteers to join our team as an Administrative Assistant (Office) Volunteer.
If you have strong administrative skills and/or a passion for connecting with people, to assist in carrying out administrative and business support activities, we want to connect with you!
Administrative Assistant (Office) volunteers are key members of the Canadian Red Cross who support the operations within the organization. As a vital member of this team, you will assist daily operations, in-person, at our offices by providing administrative support and/or acting as the receptionist and first point of contact. This volunteer role will contribute to supporting business and operations of our local Canadian Red Cross offices and strengthening our business support workforce.
As an Administrative Assistant (Office) Volunteer, you will bring many talents, including:
- Proficiency with technology (Microsoft Office, printers, online platforms/support portals, etc.)
- Thrive at providing optimum customer service, comfortable interacting with the public
- Experience or interest working in an administrative environment
- Strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Attention to accuracy and detail
- Ability to work with little supervision
- Experience working with diverse populations and an understanding of cultural issues is an asset
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required, fluency in other languages is an asset
As an Administrative Assistant (Office) Volunteer, you will contribute to key responsibilities and functions to support our vital humanitarian operations. Activities may include:
- Oversee and ensure smooth operation of the reception area at the office, including acting as first point of contact with the general public. This would include duties such as:
- Replying to general enquiries and information requests, direct incoming calls, and replying to voicemails received
- Providing access to the building, handling and relaying couriers/deliveries, electronic and physical filing
- Assist personnel with booking shared equipment, spaces, and vehicles
- Supporting new personnel with onboarding and building orientations
- During absences of administrative staff, assist with coverage as needed
- Support Supervisors/Managers with the general operation of administrative functions and special projects as needed
- Receiving and processing donations
- Provide information and referrals on Canadian Red Cross services, programs, and volunteer opportunities
You will enjoy:
Culture: an organization that is guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality
Opportunity: to work with others, in an environment that promotes continuous learning, support and collaboration
Collaboration: to be an integral member of the Red Cross team that provides advice and recommendations to our programs and services
Training & Development: comprehensive orientation as well as ongoing training and development
Flexibility: a schedule that is flexible and fits into your life, vacation plans and family commitments.
Who you are:
- Committed to the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross Movement and model the core competencies of team excellence, service excellence, accountability and results focused
- Collaborative, accountable, reliable, respectful, organized and detail-oriented
- Fair, open minded, able to be without any real or perceived conflicts of interest
- Strong communicator, respectful of privacy and confidentiality
Where and when you would volunteer:
- In person at our office (following all health and safety guidelines).
- Schedule and time commitment is set during regular business hours
- Monday through Friday
- Commitment to one 4-hour shift per week for a minimum of 6 months
This position will require a satisfactory Enhanced Police Information Check or equivalent.
At this time, the CRC has temporarily suspended our Covid-19 vaccination policy and does not require, but continues to strongly encourage full vaccination of all our personnel.The Canadian Red Cross is committed to gender equality and social inclusion in our workplace. All qualified applications will receive consideration without regard to sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, colour, religion, nationality, disability, age, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We encourage all qualified persons to apply particularly Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace. Please notify us as soon as possible of any adaptive measures you might require at any stage of the recruitment process